Reduce, Reuse and Recycle!
Although the Nation is generally getting better at recycling (especially making sure the right items go in the right bin!) there are still more ways in which we can help to save energy, conserve the environment and reduce the number of landfill sites in the UK. At Dengie we are all aware of the importance of trying to reduce the amount of waste we generate and are continuously trying to find ways to help our customers reuse or recycle our packaging.
Our production and office teams are doing their bit for the environment by recycling any scrap plastic from the feed bagging process as well as packaging from incoming items. All cardboard packaging and waste paper from both our Head Office and our Sales & Marketing Office are also sent to a central processor for recycling. Making recycled paper produces 70% less air pollution than making paper from raw materials and for every 1 ton of plastic that is recycled we save the equivalent of 2 people’s energy use for 1 year.
Customers often contact us to ask if they can return empty packaging to us. Unfortunately to do this we would have to be registered and accredited as a Waste Processor as well as using hauliers licensed for carrying controlled waste. This has been calculated to use more energy rather than conserve it and so we encourage customers to recycle locally or reuse wherever possible.
The Dengie Alfa-A and Hi-Fi ranges are all packaged in polyethylene (PET) plastic bags and the Natural Vitality supplements range come in polypropylene (PP) pots. All of these should be able to go in your household recyclables bin or can be taken to your local recycling collection point - some councils take more than others and so it is always best to check with your local council first.
Here are our top tips to help you reduce, reuse and recycle
- Supplement tubs can be used as containers for your stud or plaiting kit.
- Putting water or stones in supplement tubs so they don’t blow away means you can use them as markers in your arena to help you ride a perfect circle or serpentine as well as for mounted games including stepping stones and bending!
- Hi-Fi or Alfa-A bags make colourful jump fillers and are sure to prepare your horse for the unexpected at your next competition.
- All the bags make excellent rubbish bins on the yard.
- The supplement tubs are ideal for putting your tea room essentials in as they waterproof and rodent proof and when you’ve used your tea bags you can collect them in a supplement tub before adding them to your muck or compost heap.
- At home, the plastic bags are extremely handy for those that have time to do any gardening as they can be used for anything from kneeling on to keep your knees clean and dry to putting your compost material in. The paper bags are also ideal for storing root vegetables.
- Instead of spending lots of money on a foraging toy (snack ball) you could try making a hole in the side of a supplement container and filling this with Alfalfa Pellets which make a palatable, healthy treat.
- If you are contemplating investing in rubber matting to save on bedding costs, go for a company that uses recycled rubber in theirs.