ALFA-A OIL is the ultimate pure alfalfa fibre feed for fuelling hard work, improving stamina and promoting condition in horses and ponies. The addition of rape seed oil makes this feed excellent for providing slow-release energy without the fizz. As Alfa-A Oil is free from molasses and cereal grains it is ideal for over-excitable individuals or those prone to muscle problems.
- Alfa-A Oil provides 12.5MJ/kg of slow-release energy, which is comparable to a conditioning or competition mix, but provides 10 times less starch, making it ideal for horses with ERS which research indicates benefit from a low sugar and starch diet. Click here to read about how to feed horses with ERS.
- Alfa-A Oil is made from pure alfalfa grown in fields close to Dengie's production sites in Essex and Lincolnshire, which has been chopped and dried at a very high temperature to lock in the natural goodness
- Alfalfa is rich in highly digestible fibre, packed with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. High in protein it is ideal for helping to develop muscle tone and for muscle function
- Alfalfa is a natural buffer to gut acidity. Independent research carried out at Texas A&M University, USA showed that alfalfa was a natural buffer to acidity in the digestive system. Feeding alfalfa was more effective at reducing the incidence of gastric ulcers than turnout on pasture 24/7. Click here to read more about the study
- Alfa-A Oil has a high oil content, perfect for show ring condition, healthy skin and coat shine
- No added sugar, low in starch
How To Get The Most Out Of Feeding With Dengie Alfa-A Oil
When feeding a fibre only ration ideally the ration should be topped up with a source of vitamins and minerals such as Alfa-A Balancer or Natural Vitality Performance Vits & Mins which are both formulated with performance in mind.
Alfa-A Balancer is our higher specification balancer designed for the performance horse. Based on alfalfa and linseed the balancer supplies good quality nutrients to help with coat shine and condition. We also include a full range of B vitamins, which are important for efficient energy metabolism and chelated minerals for improved absorption.
Natural Vitality Performance Vits & Mins is a high specification broad-spectrum vitamin and mineral supplement that contains generous levels of antioxidants for horses in medium to hard work and provides a more economical alternative to feed balancers whilst still providing appropriate levels of vitamins and minerals.
The alfalfa in Alfa-A Oil is dried at a very high temperature which reduces mould. Efficient extraction processes ensure Alfa-A Oil has a low dust content making it ideal for promoting respiratory health especially in performance and race horses.
|Horse or Pony||Size Guide (hh)||Approx Weight (kg)||Light Work (kg/day)||Medium/Hard Work Or For Condition (kg/day)|
|Small Pony (eg: Shetland, Welsh A)||9–12.2||200||0.5||1.0|
|Medium Pony (eg: Exmoor, New Forest)||12.2–13.2||300||0.5||1.5|
|Large Pony (eg: Connemara, Welsh D)||13.2–14.2||400||1.0||2.0|
|Small Horse (eg: Arab, small TB)||14.2–15.2||450||1.0||2.0|
|Medium Horse (eg: TB, ID cross)||15.2–16.2||550||1.5||2.5|
|Large Horse (eg: Warmblood)||over 16.2||650||1.5||2.5|
One large Stubbs scoop = 400g
How Hard Are You Working Your Horse?
The amount and kind of work your horse or pony is doing is an important factor when calculating the quantity and type of feed to give. Alfa-A Oil provides sufficient energy to meet the requirements of working horses, even those in hard work.
|Convalescence/Resting||Horses on box rest, or turned away.|
|Light work||Maximum of 1 hour per day hacking, mostly at walk with some trotting and cantering, or 30 minutes of schooling, mostly at the trot with some canter.|
|Medium work||Schooling, dressage, show-jumping, novice or intermediate 1 day eventing or hunting 1 day per week.|
|Hard Work||Advanced one day events. 3 day events, hunting 2 days per week, polo and all forms of racing.|
|Typical analysis (%) ‘as fed’|
Ingredients: Alfalfa, rape seed oil.
The visual appearance of the actual product may vary due to environmental conditions during growth and time of harvest.