Below is a timeline of some of the actions we have taken or achievements we have made
- Our reduction in the amount of plastic used was as follows:
- Hi-Fi range – 3% reduction
- Alfa-A range – 6-10% reduction
- Healthy Hooves – 23% reduction
- Moved away from soya oil grown in Brazil to rapeseed oil grown in the UK to guard against deforestation of the Amazon rainforest and reduce “feed miles”
- Began the replacement of all sodium lighting to LED to reduce energy usage
- Introduced an automated stock control system to replace a paper-based system
- Dengie achieved the OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety standard
- Changed to a packaging supplier with the capability to re-use and remove solvents used in the print process without leaving a residue in the environment. In addition the heat generated in their recovery process is reused in their production facility.
- Invested in improved equipment to increase the amount of stretch achieved with our stretch wrap by over 65%. This meant an extra 600 pallets could be wrapped per ton of stretch wrap film.
- Completed a survey to show that yields of cereals grown on fields where alfalfa is a part of the crop rotation have increased in contrast to fields where alfalfa isn’t grown
- Introduced carbon neutral packaging for Hi-Fi Original
- Solar panels were installed on our new office building
- Introduced the maximum amount of recycled plastic into our packaging that is possible to use at this time whilst ensuring the bags remain recyclable when finished with
- Biodegradable sample bags and labels were introduced
- A 5% reduction in organic waste in FY20 compared to FY19
- Introduced one hybrid and one fully electric car into our small fleet of company cars
- Embarking on accreditation with Investors in the Environment
- We currently use around 60 tons of recycled material in our packaging, which equates to around 150,000 4pint milk bottles.